Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Rough Night

I don't even think I can begin to describe the night we had. I think I have officially gone insane and it was a very emotional night. A little before we were leaving to go home to put Bradie to bed a baby came up and was getting quite a bit of attention. When we got back the baby was getting even more attention and about 4 this morning we noticed that the monitor went black and found out that the baby had passed. You know in a place like this that it happens but until you see it firsthand it is not real. It really hit home and made us realize that there are some parents that leave here without their child. In our current situation that is not something you want to see. Right after that Brodie's oxygen saturation went down to 70 and he just never seemed to recover. I have literally been staring at a monitor begging for the numbers to go up for the past 10 hours. Between the two of us we got a little over an hour of sleep. The positive news is the he usually does better during the day than at night. His chest X-ray looked better today but they just aren't sure why his oxygen saturation isn't better. Please say a prayer for the family of the deceased baby and for Brodie. New doctors start today. A fresh set of eyes never hurt anything. Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

12 comments:

Kathie said...

Clay's Bible verse for today:

I have engraved you on the palms of MY hand. Isaiah 49:16

KNOW you are in God's palm of his hand....

Anonymous said...

Silent prayers for the angel in your NICU. And of course, prayers for Brodie and parents...Bradie as well. I find myself checking this blog every few hours to make sure all is well. Tori(my daughter) and I prayed for your family before bed last night. I know God listens to the little ones. Peaceful energy coming your way, today.
Love and Light,
Liz

Lindsey said...

I am praying for you all...

Anonymous said...

Praying for peace and comfort.
-Alicia

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Praying for the little angel who went home too soon and for his parents. And constantly praying for Brodie and you all. Todd will you please give LaVona a hug for me...and tell her I love her.

Anonymous said...

Thoughts and prayers for you all especially Brodie and the family of the baby that passed away! God please give peace and strength to this family! "Be still and know that HE is GOD!"
Luke 8:50
Hearing this, Jesus said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just believe, and she will be healed."
We are believing in Brodie's healing...thank you God in advance!

Anonymous said...

Praying for the baby went home last night and for his parents. They have an empty nest that I cannot imagine> Even with my 27 year roller coaster of medical issues with James, I am so thankful that God felt that we were capable of handling this gift and would take it forward to completion.

My prayers of course for Brodie. James was always better through the day. It was during the day we made the gains and we held through the night.

Fran said...

Todd, Brodie entered the heart of our Ladies Bible Study in prayer last night--we want you to hold him and have him smile at you and LaVona. I will continue to pray for the baby that went straight to Jesus' arms.When my friend miscarried she wept and told her son, "I know it's hard to believe this, but G-d loved our baby more than we did and He wanted him in Heaven." Praying G-d will share His time with you and LaVona and that Bradie gets to hold Brodie, too! Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.xxooFran

michellefieldswhite said...

love you guys, still praying so hard!!!

michellefieldswhite said...

love you guys, praying hard all day and night for brodie's precious life!!! please call if you need anything? i am so close to your home, my daughter is an excellent baby sitter if you need help with bradie or if you need food call me at pei wei!!! i can help and would love to help anyway i can!!!

Lindsey said...

Thinking about you all and anxious to hear how Brodie is doing. I must check your blog ten or more times a day. Praying all is well.

Anonymous said...

A whole day since we last heard anything. Every time I called the NICU with Tori they would tell me "No news, is good news."

Hope all is well, and that you had a peaceful day yesterday.

Love and Light,
Liz