Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Our New Home

Although the talk was difficult today we still believe in our Brodie. We went home around 7:30, ate dinner and put Bradie to bed. My mom is staying the night with Bradie so that we can spend the night here (Thanks Mom). It looks like we are now official residents of Texas Children's Hospital. We just feel like we need to be with Brodie and make sure that he knows we are there for him. During the day when we are with him he seems to do well but at night is when he seems to have his issues. We will just have to take turns holding his hand so that he can always feel our presence. LaVona and I are hanging in there as well as could be expected. On the way to the hospital we just held each other's hands and turned some music on. In the car we are always talking and laughing but tonight all we could do is comfort each other with a simple hand. I don't know about her but I could feel the fear of the unknown, sadness for Brodie's pain and an unconditional love all with a simple touch. We truly feel that we are bringing our boy home and we will stay up here as long as he needs us. We have an amazing son at home and we miss him terribly but we know that he is in good hands and that he knows that we love him. Brodie's numbers have been steady most of the day but have not been high enough to wean the oxygen. I hope that tomorrow will bring on some weaning and some positive progress. Thanks for all of the kind messages and prayers. Before we left Bradie gave his musical seahorse to us so that we could bring it to Brodie. We thought it would help to soothe him but the oscillator is so loud you can't hear it at all. Goodnight to everyone!

6 comments:

Diane said...

Prayers for healing and strength continue for Brodie and the family. As you are holding Brodie's hand, know that God is holding all of you in the palm of his hand.

Amber Guilbeaux said...

I know I haven't written any comments but I read this blog daily and pray daily for your family. Since day one I have passed this blog on to my mom so she could send it to her church prayer group. There are so many prayers going up for support. I know that nothing I write will take the pain away, but just knowing how many people care about this family may help ease the pain - at least for a moment. Brodie stay strong sweetie! There are so many people that want to meet you. You have touched so many people's hearts. You and your family will always be in mine.

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Brodie you keep fighting little guy!! You are so loved by so many people, especially your mommy and daddy. They are fighting the fight with you...so you hang in there. I pray God will continue to place his healing hands on little Brodie and strenghten his little lungs. May God wrap his loving arms around you all and give you comfort and peace. Todd and LaVona - I admire your unwavering faith in God's plan for Brodie and your unconditional love and devotion to your little boy. I am lifting you all up in prayer every day. Love and hugs are sent your way.

Lindsey said...

You both are inspirations and show such unconditional love toward each other, your family, and your new little boy, Brodie. I can't imagine this process is easy. But, your prayers and strength and being there for each other will help you throughout this difficult time. You both are inspirations to me as parents. We will keep praying and please let us know if you need anything. I'd love to be able to bring ya'll lunch or dinner up at the hospital one day or anything if needed. Take care, and I will continue praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you and your husband. Brodie and the other family.

Brandi said...

*God will take you nowhere that He isn't because you will go nowhere without Him.* I have posted to your FB page a couple of times, but I wanted to remind you of what a change your story has made in my life. Hearing your words; your interpretations and understandings of what the medical team tells you has made me take a step back from being a nurse and remember to really connect with my patients' families because they are hearing what I say and trying their hardest to understand it. I know that there are so many different ways that Brodie has touch lives all over the country, and this is how he has touched my life profoundly. I think of him and pray for your family multiple times a day. Thank you for sharing your story and changing lives. May God give Brodie and your family strength. *He will not abandon you.*