Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Monday, September 26, 2011

Prayers Answered

I am not sure what to say about today but that our prayers were answered.  We stayed up at the hospital and I slept for 4 1/2 hours in the Ronald McDonald house and LaVona stayed in his room all night catching a nap here and there.  He had a good night last night and we were terrified to go to rounds this morning.  We had a rough day yesterday and were ready for the doctors to have "the talk" with us.  This could not have been farther from the truth.  They were putting a plan together and definitely had not given up.  His echo was a little better and they were encouraged by that but on the x-ray you really couldn't see his left lung.  The doctors are not sure if it is collapsed or if there is just alot of fluid.  They decided that his breathing tube had an air leak and they needed to change it.  This was very scary and we were not prepared for that after our emotional day yesterday but they did it and there were no problems.  He has been doing good since then and they have even been able to wean his oxygen to 92%.  We are still a little baffled at the events of yesterday and are not sure where their communication broke down but the team certainly did not share the same view as the nurse practitioner.  All I can say is that our prayers have been answered and we are still working hard to bring Brodie home.  We know (and are reminded many times daily) that he is VERY sick but hope is what we hold onto and until it is taken away from us we will always hold it tight.  Thanks for all of the prayers and kind words.  Also, please don't forget to purchase a bracelet as the money will go to a great cause and maybe help families like ours in the future.  We sent out the first set of bracelets but we ran out so we had to order more.  The new ones will be here Friday so as soon as we get them we will send them out.  We are honored that not only do people want to help support our cause but they wear their bracelets proudly.  We got a picture from LaVona's coworkers that showed a group of hands all wearing their Brodie bracelets.  We are amazed at the support and love hearing the stories of how Brodie has changed lives.  We can make our goal and can't wait to donate money for CDH research. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God! We've started a prayer chain today for Brodie & y'all via FB & personal emails that everyday as many ppl as we can to stop what we are doing at 11:05 a.m. & praying for Brodie. This story brings a tear of joy because of the miracles GOD is doing b/c so many have joined together in prayer to our Heavenly Father. Matthew 18:19 & 20
-Sarah

Anonymous said...

I've checked all day waiting for the word of good news. Glory be to God!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jesus!!!-Tammie Brandes

Suzan Kimball said...

been checking all day while holding my breath for the next update...keep fighting Brodie...God & all of us are with you

Lindsey said...

I'm so happy prayers were answered. I know I prayed so hard and continuously for Brodie and his wonderful parents. I'm so happy you liked the picture of the bracelets. When I saw us all together, I saw that we all shared something so great in common...the support of Brodie. With hands together, we wanted to show that we proudly support Brodie and you in his journey. We are all praying. I think of you all often. If there is ever anything you need, please let us know. Continuing to pray.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!! Thank you for the good news. I think about you guys often and will keep praying for you all.

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Praise God for answered prayers. I am so happy to hear this good report. I participated in the prayer chain today that my sister in law started...thanks Sarah!! God is so good!! We will continue to pray for Brodie and his healing. Love and hugs to you all. I pray you and LaVona can get some good rest tonight. Glad you guys liked the group picture of our Brodie bracelets!! Great idea Lindsey!! Sonny and I proudly wear our bracelets everyday.

Fran said...

If I could do a cartwheel, I'd do a million of them! This is great news, Todd. Continuing to lift Brodie up to the LORD.Continuing to ask g-d to breathe for Brodie. Trusting the promise: The Spirit of G-d has made me; the breath of the Almight gives me life. Job 33:4
May it be G-d's will for His Glory.
xxoo Fran

Anonymous said...

Our God is sooooo Good.....and prayers are moving mountains....

Keep up the fight Baby Brodie.....Like the little train that could......

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I Know I can!

Through God's Grace....There's not a mountain that we can't climb! There's not a river we can't make it over! There's not a tomorrow that we can't find if we try! Keep up the strengh Mom & Dad....