Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Progress

Today was a great day all around.  Brodie did good all day and although they are still concerned about the fluid around his lungs his numbers have been good.  They do not want to put a chest tube in to drain the fluid so they are hoping it will go away when they stop paralyzing him so much.  We decided that we would leave at 4 since he was doing a little better.  It was nice to be able to go pick up Bradie and we took him for a snowcone.  It was great hanging out with him and he kept us laughing all night.  To our amazement Brodie was on 66% oxygen this evening when we call up to the hospital and his saturation is still in the high 90's.  We have definitely been here before but after Sunday this feels like good progress.  Thanks so much for your prayers and support and we hope that Brodie has a great rest of the night and a good day tomorrow.

6 comments:

Lindsey said...

That is great news to hear. And, I'm glad you were able to spend some time with Bradie. I'm sure this life change has been hard on him, as well. We are continuing to pray for you and Brodie. I'm happy that Brodie had a great day!

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Yay Brodie!! This is wonderful news. Praise God for answered prayers. I am so happy you guys had a nice afternoon with Bradie...I am sure that was much needed for all three of you. We continue to pray for Brodie for progress in the right direction. I pray he has a good night. Love and hugs to all!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you God! I can't stop smiling since yesterday. I have faith the progress will continue, in Jesus Christ name. To all out there that are reading the comments a group of us have come together at 11:05 a.m. each day since Monday to pray for Brodie & the family & we ask that you join us to pray where ever you are. ALL PRAISES & GLORY BE TO GOD ALMIGHTY!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO BRODIE!

God is so good...every morning I check on the blog to see how he is doing....and then I always read the comments.....Today, when I was reading the comments......I was reading the one from Anonymous and reading "To all out there that are reading the comments a group of us have come together at 11:05 a.m. each day"...at that very moment I looked at the time on my computer and it read 11:05 a.m......NOW THAT IS OUR PRECIOUS FATHER AT WORK.......PRAYERS ARE BEING ANSWERED......(((HUGS))) CLT

Fran said...

Todd, nice to read Brodie had a good Tuesday--smiling at the wonderful news...praying the LORD's mercy and grace flourish--glad you and LaVona and Bradie had some fun time together, too! That does make for a wonderful warm fuzzy feeling...even though you guys had snowcones! I love my blue bracelet and can be seen touching Brodie's name, praying for G-d's very best for everyone. The LORD is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made. Psalm 145:9
xxoo Fran

Chelsea said...

Random comment.... We learned about CDH in Embryology of the Abdomen today! Thank You Brodie for making this lecture that much more important and relevant! I smiled as I looked down at my Brodie bracelet. I'm praying for you guys and please know that Brodie's updates always give me that extra push to stay focused when I am studying into the wee hours of the morning.

Sending you lots of prayers!!!!!

Chelsea