Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Thursday, August 25, 2011

Tougher than Ever

This was a very emotional day.  Brodie is just not able to get his numbers up consistently.  The doctors gave us some news that was very difficult for us today.  They said that Brodie is on the maximum support that they can give him.  There are some medicines that they can give him but they are very risky and only will be used as a last ditch effort.  The doctor said things are nearing the end and we are not quite sure what he meant but I am not sure that I wanted to know.  The way I feel right now is that I am watching my son slip away from me and as a father it is the hardest thing that I will ever go through in life.  My job as a father is to protect my kids and right now I am helpless and can do nothing but watch and pray that he recovers.  Just a week ago we felt like we had made progress and it looked like we won the fight and now we a struggling to keep him alive.  To say that it is a roller coaster is an understatement. We are not done fighting and we will do whatever it takes to bring our baby home.  The more positive new is that although his numbers are lower than we would like they have somewhat stabilized.  The doctor says that his urine output is good and his GI tract seems to be working good as well.  We need everyone to get behind Brodie because he needs every little bit of help that he can get right now.  Tomorrow we are going to go in to the hospital with a great attitude and have faith that someday we will bring our baby home.  Please send this to everyone you know and let them know that our family needs every prayer that we can get right now.  Thanks again for the encouraging messages and support.    

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

You all have my prayers. Your blog is listed on my blog so that I could help spread the word of prayers for him. Brodie is such a fighter. I pray to God that things will turn positive for you all. I will do heavy praying tonight. Our prayers are with you. They truly are.

The Pruitt Family