Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Wednesday, August 24, 2011

So Much for a Quiet Day

Today was supposed to be a quiet day. That couldn't have been farther from the truth. The morning was really quiet and not much happened. When we got back from lunch it was up and down the rest of the day. I can't begin to tell you the toll that all of this is taking on us physically, mentally and emotionally. This is the hardest thing that we have ever been through and sure hope that this is the hardest thing we will ever encounter. He would do well and then an alarm would go off and people would come in and change something and then it would happen again. We just need sleep and for Brodie to have good full day. We don't want to leave the hospital at night but know Bradie needs us. Last night I was sitting on the couch and Bradie's right eye was welling up with tears. I asked him if there was something wrong and he said, "yes, I want my baby brother to come to my house". I don't know how much he knows but I am sure he does know a little and he wants him home and that just breaks my heart. At this point we just need to catch a break. Please continue to pray for our family and thanks so much for your messages and emails. It is amazing what a little kind word will do.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

LaVona and Todd,

I can't tell you how I think of Brodie and you all daily. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Brodie's story has touched my life and you have no idea the strength you have! You have so much on your shoulders and you are still managing to hold it all together. You are all an inspiration. Brodie is a fighter! He has shown that already. Our prayers are that he will be home with you soon. You will continue to be in our prayers.

The Pruitt Family