Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Saturday, August 27, 2011

Movin in the Right Direction

Last night we called the hospital and Brodie was doing better than he had since his setback. They said that his oxygen saturation was 96% and that if it stayed that way that they would lower the settings on the oscillator. This was the best news that we have heard in a while. Unfortunately his numbers did not stay there but at least we know he can get there. Bradie is going up to the hospital today and he is very excited. It seems like Brodie's recovery is going to be very slow and there is no rush to adjust the settings unless they are sure that he can handle them. The weekends are usually uneventful since his regular doctor is not there but we welcome that right now. I made some minor changes to the blog. We are no longer on pacific time and I think that I have fixed the problem with the comments. Before only members could comment and now everyone can comment. Quite a few people told me that they could not post so I tried my best to fix it. You should be able to click on the comments and it will take you to a page where you will be able to post. Thanks again for all of your support.

13 comments:

Danielle said...

Just wanted to let you guys know that you, Brodie, and your family are in my prayers every day.

Kathie said...

Sending hugs and MANY prayers for God's graceful hand.

Fran said...

Praying for you and your family and thanking G-d for your faithfulness.Fran Q. xxoo

samsam76712 said...

96% is an absolutely fantastic #. Everybody loves you guys, constantly prays for you guys and I believe that we are all stronger people having witnessed the strength and positive attitude both of you have shown.

Sam

Benita said...

Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers for God's healing hands and strength for little Brodie. Strength, faith, and peace for Mom, Dad and Big Brother, Bradie.

Lindsey said...

It's so nice hearing positive news, no matter how big or small. Keep it up, Brodie. We are praying for you!

Anonymous said...

There are lots of people here in Pittsburgh that are praying for Brodie and the whole family ... we send lots of love

Suzan said...

heard about baby Brodie thru another mother of a CDH baby..Brooklyn...she has been such an inspiration to me....I read your blog every day & pray for him & your family through out the day...stay strong Brodie...there are so many people praying for you

Jamie said...

Try to check your blog daily. Glad you got some positive news! We will continue our prayers for Brodie and family.

Jamie said...

I meant I try to check your blog daily.

Janice said...

LaVona, Todd and Bradie,
You don't know me but I'm Neil Pruitt's mom. They have asked for my prayers for Brodie. My heart and prayers go out to all of you. I hope you take comfort in knowing that Brodie is wrapped in the arms of the God who created him. I am praying daily for Brodie's healing and for your continued faith and perseverance. May God bless all of you.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I'm reading the latest posts, as I have been out ill for about a week. I'm just so in awe of your faith, please hold tight. you totally understand the ups and downs, but you are seeking answers from the Most High God. Know that Bob and I are praying for your entire family and James is ready to see Brodie. He wants to touch another TCH graduate.

Love and JOY in CHRIST,
JOYce

Anonymous said...

moving in the right direction is a high five from God, Brodie is in good hands, we continue to pray for him daily, love you cousins....