Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Blood for Brodie

Brodie has had a pretty low key day. He seems to be breathing well and has opened his eyes and been looking at us. The doctors seem a bit more optimistic about things right now but he still has some issues he needs to correct. I went and gave platelets today and I hope that they will be able to give them to our Brodie. I will find out tomorrow if they are able to use it for him. We would like everyone to go either give blood or preferably platelets to your nearest blood bank. If you are in Houston you can go to a Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center and tell them you would like to donate for Baby Boy Dick. If you are compatible it will go to Brodie, if not they will credit our account with your donation. I can't even begin to tell you how much blood and platelets that have been given to him and he will certainly need more. I am embarrassed to say that I had never given blood but because of some very generous people Brodie is still here. If you can't donate for Brodie we still ask that you donate so that you may also help to save someone like Brodie. Feel free to ask any questions regarding blood or platelet donation. He is A- for those that would like to know. This process makes you think about things like this instead of just going about your daily lives. To see what it has taken just to get Brodie to the stage he is at has been astonishing. Thanks to all that will choose to donate. If you do let us know so that we can thank you personally.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Hi,

I would like to give blood. Though I am O+, I would like to see about what you said about the credit to your account. I'd like to help if I can. Please contact me at lindseympruitt@gmail.com. I've followed Brodie's story and am praying for you all and wanting to help if I can.

The Pruitt Family