Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Saturday, August 13, 2011

Brodie Opens His Eyes

We called this morning to check on Brodie and they said they they lowered the dopamine for his blood pressure and they said he opened his eyes!  We were so excited and couldn't wait to see him.  I briefly saw his eyes the first day but LaVona has never seen them.  We got down to the hospital and they said he hadn't opened his eyes in a while and I thought LaVona would be really upset that we had missed him opening his eyes.  When we got to his bed LaVona talked to him and he opened his eyes immediately.  He knew his mommy was there and he wanted to see her for the first time too.  I never would have thought that seeing your sons eyes would stir up so much emotion.  It felt like we were at least moving in the right direction.  It was dark and I know it is early but I am dying to know if he has his Mommy's and Bradie's beautiful blue eyes.  Overall a great day and he is still trending well.  They said tomorrow night or Monday is when they should do his trial off ECMO.  Although we are excited we are also scared.  Right now everything has not changed much and they are happy but it gets real when his body has to start doing the work.  We can't express to you how much we love him and just want to hold him.  It is so hard to see him with all of those tubes and his eye swollen shut but as long as we take him home we are willing to do anything.  The nurse told us that we would be lucky if we had him home for Christmas.  That one kind of stung.  We will let you know as soon as we find out when he is doing his trial off ECMO.  That is when we will have to pick up the prayers. 

2 comments:

Aimee estes said...

Wow Todd........ I have been keeping up with your blog every since Mike and I found out. I check multiple times a day so I can find out the latest news. This one really got to me! I can only imagine the emotions that you guys are dealing with. Brodie is so adorable. U know that we serve a great God and that He is right beside Brodies bed and He is safely holding him. There will be lots of challenges ahead but Brodie is a fighter and our God is a healer and I know that you guys will be taking him home. We are praying for Brodie and you guys every day.

Diane said...

Opening his eyes for his mommy, is just the beginning of the precious moments you will have with Brodie. As I pray for you all, this verse from Jesus Love Me, resounds thru my prayer, "Jesus loves me, loves me still, when I'm very weak and ill, from His shining throne on high, comes to watch me where I lie." Jesus is watching over Brodie and has his healing hand upon him. Continued prayers for all of you.