Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Monday, October 10, 2011

Keep Going Brodie

Brodie is having one of his best days ever. He had a great weekend and LaVona got to hold him for almost an hour yesterday. He just looks so good and right now his oxygen is at 42%. I couldn't believe it when we saw his oxygen that low. It is so amazing the progress that he has made over the last couple of weeks. He is having withdrawals from the fentanyl that he came off of but other than that the weekend was smooth sailing. Today he has another echo and BNP to see how his pulmonary hypertension is doing so we will let you know those results tonight or tomorrow. My guess is that it will show improvement but then again what do I know. LaVona is home with Bradie today because he decided to wake us up at 3 this morning by vomiting next to our bed. He doesn't have a fever and he is feeling better now. I am pretty sure he is suffering from daddy and uncle Aaron took me to the Texans game and let me eat and drink throughout the entire game whatever I wanted itis. I can't say much about my parenting skills but at least he had a good time. I guess I will not be receiving Father of the Year again this year. We hope that Brodie continues on this track and we are excited by what this week could bring if he does. Hopefully they will start physical therapy soon and get him stronger. Hope everyone had a great weekend and we appreciate your prayers and generosity.

8 comments:

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Praise God for such wonderful news!! He is healing Brodie right before our eyes...our God is so good!! I am so glad LaVona got to hold Brodie yesterday...I know she was on cloud nine :) And Todd...you have already won the "Father of the Year" award in my eyes. I think it is great you took Bradie to the Texans game...I am glad you all had a great time. I just wish they could have won the game for ya :( We continue our prayers for Brodie everday...and the prayer chain at 11:05. Brodie...keep it up little man!!! You are doing great! Love and hugs to you all!!

Diane said...

AWESOME, PRAISE THE LORD! It is great LaVona got to hold him, I'm sure it was comforting for both of them. I agree with Berna, YOU HAVE ALREADY WON "FATHER OF THE YEAR". Praying for continued healing and strength for everyone.

Lindsey said...

This is such great news! She got to hold him for over an hour?! Wow. That is absolutely amazing. Todd, Father of the Year may just have already been awarded to you 50 times over. You're a great dad. And, LaVona is a great momma. Makes sure you tell her that for me! I'm so happy for Brodie's progress and continue to pray for Brodie daily. Our prayers and thoughts are with you all. God is good. Always remember to turn to Him. We are so excited of his progress and pray he keeps it up!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is Praise GOD for He is so wonderful & gracious! I am so overcome with joy reading this and all the posts on Brodie's miracles turns any bad day around. Remember to all reading prayer chain for Brodie & family everyday @ 11:05 a.m. Matthew 18:19-20 & as always ALL GLORY NE TO GOD THE ALMIGHTY.

Aimee Estes said...

I have not commented in a while but I am reading your blog everyday. I usually read it to mike in the car. we are standing with you guys in agreement for Brodies homecoming. It is encouraging to hear about the forward progress. You guys are amazing and I know there is only one way you have the strength to get through this and it is definitely coming from God. We love you guys and are continuing to pray everyday.

Miranda said...

Be careful with Bradie. There is an awful stomach flu going around.... Vomiting then diarrhea.... What he has sounds suspicious. I has reked havoc on my house last week and landed my 10 month old in the ER last Wednesday.
I have been keeping with with Brodies progress and he and your family are in my prayers. Hope you guys are able to bring that sweet little guy home soon.
Take care.

Jamie said...

Such wonderful news and what a great event that Lavona got to hold brodie! I also agree with the others that you and lavona both have won parent's of year.

Fran said...

Thanking the LORD for answered prayer...I so wanted La Vona to hold Brodie--glad he is improving and your humor is full throttle regarding your parenting skills for Bradie! In fact, I think you do deserve Father of the Year for making time for him in the midst of all your other demands. Will continue to pray with heartfelt joy and thanksgiving for the progress to continue so the call of G-d in Brodie's life may be a credit to the LORD. xxoo Fran