Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Thursday, October 27, 2011

Brodie's New Bed

It has been an eventful past couple of days. Brodie has been doing well and has stayed the same the past couple of days. The big news has been his move to a crib. This is so great for him and now he has some things to look at. He has a mobile and an aquarium that he can look at now. I can't imagine how much better this is for him to look at than the ceiling. He also wears clothes occasionally and is starting to be more like a normal baby. He just looks so good lately. We had a meeting with the doctors yesterday and we decided that the trach was the best way to go for Brodie. We are very scared and no parent would like this for their son but if it will give him the best chance for development then we need to do it. The surgery will be on Monday or Wednesday of next week so will keep you posted. Next week will be a difficult one for us but we know that we can make it through anything at this point. In our meeting yesterday you could tell that a month ago the doctors never would have dreamed that we would be in this position. Brodie is truly our miracle baby and we know that each day we have with him is a blessing. I know we would not be here without the prayers of each of you and we would not be as sane as we are without your support. Thanks so much for everything and PLEASE continue to pray for Brodie and our family.

11 comments:

Diane said...

Congratulations on the move to a crib. GOD IS GOOD!!!!! "MIRACLE BABY" nothing says it better. Prayers for continued healing and peace of mind for you and LaVona as you wait for the "Trac" surgery. THANK YOU JESUS !!!!!!!!!

Sonny and Bernadette said...

WOW...God continues to amaze me everday. I am in awe of HIS power and faithfulness!! Brodie is proof that GOD works miracles and answers our prayers. I am so happy to hear that he is continuing to do well. I pray you all have a blessed and relaxing weekend as I know next week will be stressful. I will be praying for a successful surgery and that God will give you and LaVona comfort and peace as he guides the surgeons and medical staff through the surgery next week. I am sure Brodie enjoys his new crib and I know seeing him in a bed makes you guys light up with joy!! Brodie is a fighter and he has come so far. I just know God will continue to strenghten and heal Brodie and one day soon you will be taking your precious boy home!!! All GLORY and HONOR to GOD ALMIGHTY!!! Love and Hugs to you all---Berna

Lindsey said...

Congratulations! I would definitely call Brodie a miracle baby. He has come such a long way and I am so happy for his progress. I will pray that all goes well with the surgery. Just know that whatever decisions you made, God was right there with you making the decisions with you. You are all so strong. You never know how strong you are until you have to be. Brodie is such a fighter and has come so far. I'm so happy for you and so proud of him! We will continue to pray for Brodie and you both.

Sonny and Bernadette said...

The new pics of Brodie are great...he looks fantastic!! He is so adorable!!

Suzan said...

love the new pictures...keep it up Brodie ...you are doing great buddy...sending lots of hugs..kisses & prayers for you & your wonderful family...GOD is GOOD

Hillary S said...

SO happy to see pictures of your beautiful baby boy!! I can see such improvement, and I am happy to hear the good news! God bless you & your family!

Fran said...

Oh, Todd, what a cute baby boy you and LaVona have! Thank you for the updated pictures. I'm sitting here weeping at how far you all have come and am giving thanks for
G-d's infinite mercy...dare I say I want more for Brodie and all of you? Yes, I dare! May the surgery provide the blessings of growth and continued healing for Brodie. I will continue to ask our church to pray for all of you. As I wear Brodie's bracelet and turn it often throughout the day I am praying for all of you. I just opened my promise book to this verse: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart," says the LORD. Jeremiah 1:5 I believe G-d has great things planned for you and your entire family. I believe the LORD smiles when you call Brodie your miracle baby--shows
G-d's ownership, eh? xxoo Fran

Jamie said...

Congrats on the move to the crib. Love the new pics as well.

Will be praying for the surgery next week and we are keeping up the prayers for your miracle baby, Brodie~

Anonymous said...

We are, we continue to pray for yall & Brodie everyday @ 11:05a.m. & we are also including the little girl next to Brodie that also has CDH. Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures of Brodie. I see the power of God in those gorgeous big brown eyes. I am so overcome with joy b/c of the Grace & Mercy God is showing yall with His miraculous healings for Brodie every single day. God is not only moving the mountains in Brodie's life he is crushing them so they are to not ever return again. Thank you our gracious Heavenly Father. ALL GLORY BE TO GOD THE ALMIGHTY.

Anonymous said...

AMEN....AMEN.....AMEN.....PRAYERS ARE BEING ANSWERED....GOD IS SHOWING US HIS MAGNIFICENT WORK IN THIS PRECIOUS SON OF HIS.

Our God is SOOOO GOOD....Just look at those pictures of that beautiful Miracle.... aka Baby Brodie....He looks so good. Thanks for posting the new pictures. Faith and prayers will continue to lift this little miracle and he will thrive through his surgery and continue to move forward on his journey of healing..... (((HUGS)))

Aimee estes said...

La vona and Todd.....Brodie looks amazing! We are still standing in faith with you! We have really been blessed by seeing the growth in your faith during all of this. You guys inspire me to look at my own hurdles and difficulties in a different light. You guys have overcome so much. God has great things in store for your family and Brodie is going to have a great testimony to tell. We love you guys and look forward to being able to delivery the great news of Brodies recent successes to our team of mighty prayer warriors on Sunday!