Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Thursday, October 20, 2011

Brodie Loses His Lunch on Daddy

Yesterday was a good day but they went up on his feeds and it did not sit well with him. I got to hold him and he threw up on me. I wish I could say that it was a wonderful experience but I have to say I was disgusted. Bradie "spit up" on me but this was a new experience. I felt like when we were leaving that the whole elevator was looking around wondering where that awful smell was coming from. Now that I ruined everyone's lunch we did have some news yesterday. The team has decided that Brodie would benefit from a tracheostomy or trach. Although this is not what we wanted to hear we now think it is best for him. The breathing tube is really starting to bother him and they have to restrain his arms so that he will not pull his tube out. If he gets the trach he will move around better, breastfeed and get the tube out of his throat. No parent wants their child to have to get a hole in their throat to breath but if he can start to be more developmentally appropriate then we are ok with it. He is stable right no but there are risks with this surgery. They are going to make sure that the echo does not get worse on Monday and then they might do the surgery middle of next week. This is just another hurdle and hopefully things will go great. His oxygen has been in the 30's for a couple of days now and he looks better every day. Thanks for the prayers and we will keep you posted on when they will do the trach.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Praise the Lord for progress. Though getting thrown up on was disgusting, it is another activity that babies normally do. Praying for continued healing and strength for all.

Lindsey said...

Aw, haha. I could just imagine you in the elevator with the people silently sniffing the air. I pray that Brodie will continue to make good progress. I'm excited to come visit Brodie and you and LaVona at the hospital today. I talked with LaVona this morning. I hope this is a good time and I look forward to seeing ya'll. :)

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Ah yes...one of the joys of parenthood...being covered in spit up/puke!! So glad he is doing so much better. Praying for continued progress and healing for Brodie and constant strength and comfort for mommy and daddy. Love and Hugs--Berna

Fran said...

Praying about the trach for you--trusting G-d to make a clear pathway for Brodie to grow and bloom. About the puke--yuck! And yet, wasn't it great to know he felt comfortable to be uncomfortable on his daddy? I'm glad he's looking better--
"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. There are the things I will do; I will not forsake them," says the LORD. Isaiah 42:16
trusting and believing the best for Brodie, Bradie, LaVona and you.
xxoo Fran