Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Immunizations and Daddy Holds Brodie

Yesterday Brodie had a great day. He pretty much was steady all day and I got to hold him. I never dreamed that we would be back in this position. He has come a real long way in the last couple of weeks and it seems like we have turned a corner. Please do keep in mind he is not out of the woods and he has a long way to go but we are so happy to be where we are. Yesterday he got his first immunizations and he took it pretty well. They took him off the lasix drip and are now just giving it to him every 8 hours. This means that later today they will take out a picc line. Now he only has one left. Today he is a little agitated and having a little bit of a hard time breathing. They have gone down on the ventilator settings the past couple of days so they may have to go back up on them. Now that he is awake we can see him cry (no noise) and sneeze. These things may seem small but it is great to see Brodie doing some normal baby functions. LaVona is getting ready to hold him so hopefully he will continue doing great and we can make holding him a daily thing. Today he may also not be feeling well because of the shots that he got. I can't wait to see what the rest of the week brings and I know that our little fighter will keep up the good work. Thanks for your continued prayers and support.

4 comments:

Sonny and Bernadette said...

To GOD be the GLORY!! What wonderful news!! This just put a huge smile on my face...and brought me such joy I am close to tears (tears of joy of course)!! GOD is so good and awesome in HIS power and might! Keep it up Brodie...you are doing great!! And I am so glad that you got to hold him today Todd...you and LaVona must be besides yourself with joy to finally get to hold your precious little boy. We continue to lift Brodie up in prayer every day at 11:05 am and we will continue until Brodie is completely healed! You both continue to be an inspiration to all of us. I pray God continues to heal Brodie and will continue to give you and LaVona strength, comfort, and peace. I pray Bradie is feeling better as well. I am sure he wants to hold his baby brother too! You are always in my thoughts and prayers...love and hugs to you all. Praise GOD for the wondrous things HE has done!!

Lindsey said...

What wonderful news! I'm sure you both are over the moon. I'm so happy to where Brodie is at today. We are continuing to pray. God listens! Take care and we are keeping you all in our prayers.

Brandi said...

Praise the Lord for not rebounding after the steriods!! God is good!! It is fantastic that you and LaVona are able to hold...I have been praying for Brodie to be stable enough for that. I am positive that it was just as amazing and positive for him as it was for y'all. I wanted to pass along to you that I received your bracelets the other day. Today I took a few to work, incase someone inquired about the one I was wearing. Low-and-behold, a lady asked me, I mentioned your story...saying "maybe you saw it, it was a story about a CDH patient that was sent to me on FB." She said "oh yeah! I got that...how is he?" I updated her and explained your bracelet fund-raiser. She says "oohhh I want one!" And I pulled one out of my pocket and said "here you go!" Another group of family and friends will now inquire about your story, know your situation, and be praying for you! Your amazing family has touched so many lives and I hope that y'all know what an incredible impact you have made on us. Many thoughts and prayers for blessings upon you! God bless!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys I haven't posted in a while, but I've been reading the post every day. God is so good. I'm glad to hear things are going good. I can't wait to hear that you are taking Brodie home. Let us know when Bob and I can come see you and Brodie.

JOY in CHRIST,
JOYce