Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Tomorrow is the day that he gets his trach.  I can't say that we are not nervous but we know that he will do great and come out of it just fine.  He has been through much worse and made it out of far deeper places.  Lately he has been doing great and when people come by to see him they are amazed that he has come so far.  We are so happy and proud of him and we know that he has a bright future and God has big plans for him.  I posted some new pictures of him.  He is wear his halloween clothes that his Nana got him and when we went to the Texans game on Sunday we put a Texans onsie on him so he would not feel left out.  I love the one of Bradie and Brodie.  Bradie loves his little brother so much and loves to rub his head and hold his hand.  LaVona and I are wearing down and just tired all the time.  I think now that he is doing better the adrenalin is wearing off and everything is catching up to us.  That is OK though because our little Brodie is better and that is all we care about.  The doctor just came in and told me,  "You are going to take him home".  Obviously that is not going to be for a long time but to go from thinking he would never come home to hearing that we will someday bring him home it feels so good.  Yesterday was the last day for the previous doctors and now he is being moved to the chronic lung disease team.  This means from here on out he will have the same doctors and we will not switch teams anymore.  Thanks so much for your giving, prayers and support.  We made our goal and I will give you the final totals tomorrow.  We have just been blown away by everyone's generosity and support.  I hope that someday each of you gets to meet Brodie and see what all of the prayers have done.   I talked to a friend the other day that I have not talked to for almost a year and he asked me how things have been for me.  When I was describing what we have been through it was crazy to think that we experienced all that I was saying.  You just take it one day at a time and don't even realize what is going on until later.  We feel blessed to have taken this journey with Brodie and are thankful that we are fortunate enough to be able to both do it together.  This has certainly been an interesting rollercoaster but we wouldn't change a minute of it.  We hope everyone has a great week and we will let you know how things go tomorrow. 

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

What a journey Brodie has been on. The pictures are amazing and they really hit home for me that Brodie is doing so well. Seeing him in his little clothes really made me so that Brodie is doing so well. Hearing the doctor say you are bringing him home must have been music to your ears. It confirmed what we believed and prayed for. God only gives us what we can handle. He knew that Brodie's condition must be met with strong and loving parents, and he has that. I am so deeply have for you and am so amazed at Brodie's progress from his first weeks of life. Congratulations to you both. You have a beautiful family and I just love the pictures. You can tell Bradie loves his brother. And, it's obvious you both love your beautiful boys. I am so happy for you all! Stay strong Brodie, and we will all pray for the surgery tomorrow. Lots of love!

Diane said...

TO GOD BE THE GLORY! Awesome news that you will one day bring your precious Brodie home. I will be praying for the Trac surgery tomorrow and will continue to lift you and LaVona up in prayer for the strength to keep going. The Texan and Halloween pictures are great.

Sonny and Bernadette said...

YAY Brodie!!! You are an amazing little man :) Praise God...all the Glory and Honor be HIS!! Reading this post brought me to tears of joy. He is such a little fighter...and our God is an awesome God!! I am so happy for you all that Brodie will be coming home with you one day. I absolutely love the pics of him in his Halloween and Texans outfit. Go Texans!! And the one of Brodie and Bradie is simply precious...a picture i know you will cherish forever. Bradie is an awesome and proud big brother...and I know you and LaVona are rediculously proud of your boys. We continue to pray for Brodie's continued healing and for you and LaVona's comfort and strength. You guys have been on am amazing journey and I pray that God will continue to hold you both up through this. Lean on HIM tomorrow...he will be with you. We will lift you all up in prayer tomorrow at 3 for a successful surgery. God will be holding Brodie...and he will be in the best hands possible. Have a great evening and I hope you all can get some good rest tonight. Love and Hugs sent your way--Berna :)

Linda LaRoque said...

Your boys are precious. Though I don't post often, I do check Brodie's status everyday if i can and pray for him daily. He is looking so good and it's wonderful to see him so alert. I know you're thrilled with his progress. I'll be praying for a smooth surgery tomorrow and that each day of his recovery will bring him closer to you taking him home.

Fran said...

Great pics of your sons, Todd. Continuing to lift Brodie and your family and medical staff up to the LORD for His care to be displayed in Brodie's life. What great news to hear from the doctor you will be taking Brodie home. Now, we wait upon the LORD. Know I'm one of many waiting with you. May G-d put His loving arms around you, LaVona and Bradie tomorrow through friends and family.Can't wait to thank G-d for bringing Brodie through another miracle. Psalm 17:6
I call on you, O G-d, for you will anwer me; and give ear to me and hear my prayer.
xxoo Fran