Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Thursday, November 10, 2011

A New Brodie

Brodie has been doing great the past couple of days.  The flolan wean has been going suprisingly good and he just looks great.  LaVona and I have been learning the trach care and even though it is very intimidating we have been able to do it.  It takes alot longer right now than it should but soon we will get the hang of it.  Brodie has been doing occupational and physical therapy and is doing more normal baby stuff.  He smiled a few times today and he just seems like he is so much happier now that he has the trach.  I am going to put up some pictures of Brodie with the trach as soon as they are downloaded so by the time most of you read this the pictures will be up.  Today and Tuesday he got in his seat/chair and would just lay back and enjoy it.  Right now he is laying in his bed propped up on his boppy and he looks so cute.  If you can't tell by this post we are so happy with his progress and to say that I thought we would ever reach this point would be a lie.  We never gave up but all of the signs were just not pointed in this direction.  I hope that this progress brings a smile to your face like it does ours because each of you were instrumental in getting us to this point.  If he continues to handle the flolan wean he should be off of it by Tuesday.  Hope everyone has a great Friday and hope you enjoy the new pictures.

8 comments:

Suzan said...

love the new pictures...you're doing great Brodie....hang tough buddy...your on your way

Diane said...

A smile on my face and a song in my heart. GOD IS SO VERY GOOD!!!! The pictures are awesome. I can just see the smiles on your faces also, probably hard to do anything but smile. Prayers for continued healing and strength.

Anonymous said...

This is great news! The pictures are great and I'm so happy for ya'll! We love you!

Michelle, Bill, Taylor and Nicholas Kerman and Veronica Reid

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Praise God for Brodie's healing and continued progress!! God is good!! I love the new pictures...and Brodie looks fantastic. Continuing to pray for complete healing for Brodie. I hope you all have a fantastic day and a wonderful weekend. Love and hugs to you all!

Berna :)

Letitia Ledesma said...

Awesome pictures it's so great to see Brodie's beautiful face! I'm so happy he's doing so good. God hears our prayers! Y'all are doing an awesome job hang in there and you will bring him home before you know it. Keeping you all in our prayers daily!!
Letitia

Anonymous said...

It's just AMAZING how far this precious Angel of yours has come....God is so good....and you are both so strong....I love the new pictures and am so excited to hear all of the good news....Keep up the fight Baby Boy....Mommy & Daddy want to take you home soon.....(((HUGS)))

Lindsey said...

He is definitely a new Brodie! The pictures are great. He is doing wonderful and you must be so ecstatic. So good to hear the good news and see the pictures. I'm so happy for ya'll. Your family has been through so much and you came out of this journey with a happy ending. You all continue to be in my prayers.

Fran said...

So, I was at the blood center today and was happy to share Brodie's recovery news with one of the techs. She was present the day I donated blood for Brodie. We were just so thanking G-d for where Brodie is today! Thanks for the updated pictures--praying for more baby behaviors!!This is how I feel about what G-d has done for "our" Brodie: You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my G-d, I will give you thanks forever. Psalm 30:11-12 xxoo Fran