Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Brodie is All Smiles

The doctors told us yesterday morning that we would hopefully be able to go home in 4 weeks.  We are very excited but are not going to get too excited in case it does not happen.  When we go home we will have to have home nursing care so that will take some time to get used to.  Yesterday LaVona tried to breastfeed him and he did pretty good.  He latched on for a few seconds so we are encourage that he might be able to do it.  Hopefully soon we will try a bottle and see how he does with that as well.  It is so great to be able to dress him everyday and get him out of the bed more often.  He sits on his boppy, lays in his swing and plays on the floor.  If he did not have a tube coming out of his neck you wouldn't have a clue that he has been through anything these last few months.  I added some pictures of Brodie smiling and then a picture of LaVona with the two boys.  Those pictures make all of the crazy nights staring at a monitor and wondering what was next all worth it.  I hope that these pictures put a smile on your face and thanks for all of the support.  We will keep you updated on the progress as we look towards home.  Hope everyone is having a great week.

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

The pictures are beautiful! Wow, the ones of Brodie smiling are amazing. You are right, you wouldn't think he would have gone through all of this by those pictures! Seeing the picture of LaVona with the boys is beautiful. Mommy to mommy, it's very heartwarming. I am so happy for you all. I can't express to you how happy I am and Brodie's journey proves that God is there through it all.

Jennifer said...

Hi, you don't know me but I have been following your story for several months now. A friend of Brooklyns mom posted the link and I have been in tears and smiles along with you ever since. Brodie is about 10 days older then my youngest daughter and to see her growing and changing and then read your posts just make me appreciate what I have as well as pray that you can soon experience a beautiful healthy baby boy at home where he belongs. I just wanted to tell you that you have a beautiful family and handsome boys and I am so glad to see brodie doing so well and happy. And to think that you will get to go HOME in just a few short weeks is amazing. I can't wait to see what new milestones and stories you have for us next and god bless your sweet boys and you and your wife.

Jennifer

Hillary S said...

what a sweet angel baby!!! so happy things are going so well!!!

Diane said...

WOW! AMAZING! GOD IS SO GOOD! The pictures of smiling Brodie are priceless as you look back on the past 3 months. I am so excited to hear the continuing miracles God has in store for Brodie and your family. TO GOD BE ALL GLORY, HONOR AND PRAISE.

Kathie said...

Smiling and praising God!!! Thank you Jesus....

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Wow...I am in awe of GOD'S power, love and grace! Praise HIM for the miracles he has worked through sweet little Brodie. I cried tears of joy reading this post!! I am so happy for you all that you will be bringing Brodie home soon. You all have been on an amazing journey and Brodie is proof of the power of prayer and of God's healing hands. I will continue to pray for complete healing for Brodie and ask that God continue to give you and LaVona strength and comfort as you prepare for your new journey at HOME with nursing care. The new pictures are beautiful...and I just love the one of LaVona with her two boys!! Priceless picture! Something special about a mommy and her boys:) I pray you have a blessed day. Hope to see you all soon. Love and hugs sent your way :)

Letitia Ledesma said...

What an awesome smile! I'm so happy for you all today. Keep up the good work Brodie I can't wait to hear about you going home. Praise God for his miracles.

ChrissyK said...

Yay, yay, yay. God is so good.
Brodie is so handsome and I am thrilled at how far along he has come.
Looking forward to seeing him come so much further.
Love you guys!
Chrissy Pratt

Stephanie said...

This makes me so happy. I love seeing Brodie's big beautiful smile!

Fran said...

Gorgeous pics of the smiling Brodie and the mommy and her boys!
Continuing to praise G-d for all He has done and will continue to do to bring Brodie home. How fun to be able to be doing so much more in the way of caring for your son...little things like changing him and moving him from one place to another. I will continue to keep the Dick family in my prayers.
Can't wait until Sunday School to share with the Ladies Class the smiling Brodie! The cheerful heart has a continual feast. Proverbs 15:15 With this news, I don't need turkey on Thanksgiving! Blessings
xxoo Fran