Welcome to our site about our son Brodie Dick who will join our family on August 8, 2011 at 8:00. At 22 weeks we went in to find out if we were having a boy or a girl and we found out that we were having a boy but that he may have a birth defect. After an agonizing week we found out that our son had CDH (Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia). CDH occurs when the diaphragm fails to fully form, allowing the abdominal organs into the chest cavity and preventing lung growth. CDH occurs in 1 of every 2500 births and a baby with CDH is born every 10 minutes. 50% of babies diagnosed with CDH do not survive. The cause is not known. This will be a journal of our journey and will allow our family and friends to keep up to date on what is happening with us and our son Brodie. Thanks for your prayers and support!


Friday, November 18, 2011

Are We Ready For This????

Things have been going so great lately and everything is always positive and moving in the right direction.  Home seems to be in our near future and we are excited because that has always been the goal.  However, we are both terrified of the thought of being the primary caregivers.  We will have home nurses but have heard horror stories and need to be prepared to handle anything.   We are going to have to make sure we know it all and that we are calm when a stressful situation arises.   On Wednesday we had one of those stressful situations and we are so glad that it happened first while we were at the hospital.  We had been talking to our nurse and she said she had never had a baby decannulate (trach come out) on her and also that the tool used to insert it in needed to be readily available.  About 20 minutes after that conversation LaVona handed Brodie to me and when he got to my lap you could hear air leaking.  Then LaVona said,"It's out."  We both thought she meant that the tube got disconnected but we soon found out that he had decannulated.  The nurse then called for other nurses and then hit the code button.  The tie that holds the trach on and his trach collar were very difficult to get off but one of the other nurses was able to get it off while our nurse got the tool to put it back in.  While this is going on I am just sitting there watching my son gasp for each breath and wondering how this was going to turn out.  All of my personal space issues went out the window and I had nurses reaching over me and across me.  Our nurse was able to get it back in with no problem and he was fine after he got his oxygen back.. I know this sounds crazy but throughout this process that was the most scared I have been.  Thanks to Misty and all of the other nurses for staying calm and getting it back in.  We are now even more terrified to go home but I know we can do it.  Hopefully he can be weaned as much as possible and will go home on very little support.  Please pray that we can learn all we need to and be able to give him the best care possible.  Thanks to all of the support and we hope everyone has a great weekend.

4 comments:

Sonny and Bernadette said...

Oh my goodness...that must have been very scary and I am glad the nurses were able to help Brodie immediately. I will pray that Brodie will be able to wean off the oxygen as much as possible before going home. And I will pray for you and LaVona...that you will have all the training necessary to be fully capable to handle any and all situations that may arise at home. God is with you through all this and he will continue to give you the strength and peace of mind to handle this next phase of Brodie's treatment. I am so happy he will be going home soon. I will pray for a smooth transition from hospital to home nursing care. You and LaVona are wonderful loving parents...Bradie and Brodie are truly blessed :) You guys have a wonderful weekend!

Jenny said...

Hi Todd and LaVona! It's been a while since I've commented on your blog, but I've been keeping up with Brodie's progress as much as possible through here and Mom & Lib. Erin and I are so excited for you guys, that Brodie is doing so well and that home might be in the near future! Wow...you have had quite the journey. But you have been an amazing example to all of us of how to lean on our Father God during tough times. We will continue to pray for Brodie and you guys, and we'll look forward to seeing the "We're going home!" post:) Love you!!

Fran said...

What a miracle, yet again--Brodie is such a smart boy to practice at the hospital stressful situations so they will not be stressful at home--pastor said today, if your pain tolerance is 87 G-d will be sure to stop it at 86 because He knows you can only handle that much--He equips us for what the task is He has planned for the moment we arrive in the moment--your faith and LaVona's faith are the basis for your new home health care training for your son...I will add that as I read your e-mail I wasn't ready for what I was reading thinking that you were experiencing it! How glorious that I'm not Brodie's caretaker. I will pray, the Ladies Sunday School Class, in fact I will put it out on the prayer chain at church--we will all be praying for G-d to equip you for every detail of what you need to do to bring Brode home.
His smile says it is worth it all!
The LORD be with you and yours
xxoo Fran
I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13

Lindsey said...

What a scary scenario! I'm glad everything turned out fine. Do not worry. God has prepared you for Brodie since the moment he was brought into the world. He's been by your side, giving you strength and guidance. That does not end just because Brodie will be home. He will continue to be there, guide you, give you strength, and watch over Brodie and his well being. Brodie will be in good hands, as well as the Lord's hands. God is with you in all that you do. I'm so happy that you will be bringing Brodie home! You are very blessed. Take care and let me know if you ever need anything!